Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 24 (Christmas In July Eve)

Here is a picture of the great-granddaughters and the swan.  I took this yesterday when we went for our walk. 
If you look closely, you can see the red cast on Charlotte's left arm.  I thought that they had recast it.  I was wrong.  The original cast had done such a good job of holding the break in the correct spot that they were concerned that removing it and would let the bones shift.  Therefore they simply added the 'new' cast over the old.
- - -
After the kids left yesterday, Ella and I started putting up our outdoor Christmas display. 
For a kid raised as a Jehovah's Witness, Christmas is a lot more fun now.  Especially since I've become Santa. 
My theology has taken some odd turns and I now attend a United Methodist church (where I am a local lay minister).  I kind of compartmentalize the 2 holidays known as Christmas: Chrismas (notice the spelling to go with the pronunciation) is a secular holiday that is all about Santa, trees, lights, gifts, and flying reindeer.  I really enjoy this fun and festive holiday; Christ Mass is a religious holy day that is all about the birth of the god-child born to take away the sins of the world.  This is both festive and solemn celebration.
- - -
8:30 A.M.
Last night or early this morning we had another round of high winds come through and collected another 1 1/2 inches of rain.  When the wind woke me, I checked the radar map on my Blackberry and it looked as if it was a huge storm.  Thankfully we were just in the lower edge of it as it passed by.  I haven't had the news on to see what has gone on in the rest of the world.
Today is going to be busy.  After breakfast I began defrosting the freezer.  Our RV refrigerator's freezer compartment is about the size of a larger microwave.  We pick up our food order from Angel Foods Ministry today at noon.  The order contains our 'Senior Meals' which are portion controlled, low sugar, low salt, low fat, and diabetic frozen meals.  With all the frost off the freezer, there is just enough room for 14 meals. (with some very careful arranging and stacking.)
Between 1 and 3 I (Santa) will be at Cutty's Des Moines Camping Club lodge handing out gifts and treats.
I am supposed to be helping Lynn at Lake Robbins Ballroom.  Depending on how things go, I could be done at 8:30 or 10:30.  They have assured her there will be 300 people for a Woodward All School Reunion.
Well, as I've said, it's going to be a busy day so I'd better get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that people think / feel about what I've posted.