Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Aug 23, 24, 25

Aug 23  Monday
Didn't do a thing all day. I'm trying to remember the line from "Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"  I think it was "and we haven't done a blessed thing all day!"  Hmm . . . just remembering that I had a ponytail when I heard "As I get older, losing my hair, many years from now . . .  will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four".  It has been many years alright and I'll be sixty-four in a few months!

Aug 24 Tuesday
We thought we were going to have at least one of the 'greats' for a while this afternoon but other arrangements were made.  
So, we went to the hospital to visit my sister.  We got there just in time to wait for the hospital staff to finish cleaning her and sitting her in a chair.  She was off the oxygen and doing well.  She was hoping that the doctor would send her home in the evening.
While we were at the hospital, we stopped for a short visit in Lynn's mother's room.  She is recovering from a stroke that happened on Sunday (I think).  Two of the boys (they are grown men) were there with Mom.  Lucille responded enough to look at us when we spoke to her but was unable to speak.  BJ (I don't remember his real name . . . something like Walter . . . I think) said that the kids are taking turns staying at night with their mother.  Lynn was to stay this evening.  We didn't stay long because Ella needed to get back for work.

Aug 25 Pieday . . . er . . . Wednesday.
We had anticipated going to Ankeny and watching Lorelai and driving Charlotte to and from school. However, that didn't work out. Nathan made other arrangements.
It was pay day (SS deposits) so we went grocery shopping at the new Wal*Mart near us.  I'm not a real fan of the fresh food choices at Wally World but I also wanted to look for a new drill and toaster.  The convenience of one-stop shopping won me over . . . this time . . . plus we were only getting prepackaged foods which due tend to be cheaper there.  When possible I prefer to shop at HyVee which is locally owned and employee owned.  Most of the produce comes from the Midwest rather than Argentina or Brazil. (Sorry Andres and Eduardo nothing personal, just like to keep a many of my dollars close to home as possible.)
The drill that I got is a Black & Decker 14.4v cordless.  It came with an entire tool chest of screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers etc.  I could buy the drill for about $70 or the set for about $90.  So, I bought the set.  Now I need to go through my tools and get rid of the duplicates. One of the credos of living in this small metal box on wheels is: 1 thing in / 1 thing out.
When we begin to be more mobile in our turtle shell, We'll need to off load a lot of weight (mostly books and paper records in a file cabinet)  Some books will just have to go with us because they have an emotional load that is heavier than their physical weight.
I'll also need to purchase new tires for the 5th wheel because they're old (even though they aren't badly worn) and they've sat in one place for several years and will have developed a flat spot)  Not really looking forward to spending $150 or so apiece for 4 new tires.  Also not looking forward to the break job on the truck that will have to happen before I pull this load.  Well . . . I'll need to get the break job even if I didn't have to pull my home behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that people think / feel about what I've posted.