Thursday, March 15, 2012

2012 March 15 Thursday

            I had an appointment with Pastor Lee Webb this morning to discuss the upcoming Seder / Passover meal that the Worship Committee is sponsoring.  We reviewed the script that we have and made some changes.  We will have Amy the church secretary create a bulletin for the participants.
            Lee also helped with a warning light for my truck’s ABS.  He had the diagnostic tool for his GMC truck.  Now that I have the codes, I’ve gone online to ask the experts at “JustAnswer.com”.  I’m sitting and waiting for a reply. 
            A pop-up said that Nate was researching the answer.  That was replaced with “Your question has been opened to all GM Experts”.  That was replaced with “Walter is researching”.  And the message has now been replaced with “Your question has been opened to all GM Experts” again.
            The following is posted on their website:

Satisfaction is fully guaranteed!

You will be able to ask follow-up questions until you are fully satisfied. Your deposit remains in your account until you decide to pay your Expert.
So, I’m expecting to be ‘fully satisfied’ at some point.
            I’m hoping that I become satisfied before I have to leave for the Bible Study at Emeritus.
            Onto another topic.
            Record breaking high temps yesterday as well as predicted for today!  I’ve begun removing the plastic ‘storm windows’ from the RV.  The screen door is uncovered and in use.
            >Just received a question from GMwrench as to whether the light is on all the time.  It is not.  It is intermittent but often.<
            Back to the other topic … the weather.
            I have the roof vents open and the breeze through the RV is glorious.  This weather makes me want to crank up the grill and barbeque some ribs!  I like to cheat on this a little.  I’ll make a dry rub for the ribs and then sear them over live fire.  Then I’ll but them in a crockpot and wet cook them in BBQ sauce until they fall off the bone. (I know … some people say that ‘fall off the bone’ is overcooked … but I’m the one who is eating them and that’s the way I like ‘em.
            >GMwrench sent a message with two possible answers to my ABS question.  One is fairly simple and cheap (a loose connection).  The second is still simple but ain’t so cheap (replace the ABS module).  He even sent me a diagram on where to look for the loose connection.  I was satisfied, so they’ll get my $15.<
            Jumping ahead in time a couple of hours.
            I just returned from Emeritus.  Ella ask me, “How did it go?”  I don’t have an answer for that.  I go.  I read a short section from the Bible.  I pontificate upon it. (grin)  I then play a CD of Hymns with which to sing along.  Seldom does anyone sing and only a few can follow along with the written words or even find the page.  I thank them for their attendance and … sometimes … they thank me. 
So, how did it go?  If I made an impact on their lives at all … it’ll disappear from their minds before the day is over.  For some of them, if I walked out of the room and came back in they wouldn’t remember having seen me before.
How did it go?  I may be the only one who is truly changed by these visits.  I have always hated being around people who are “challenged” physically, mentally, or socially.  Many people in my family have had careers in dealing with these people.  But I’ve always been uncomfortable being around them.  I have thought of myself as having no compassion. 
What I’ve learned about myself is:  it is not lack of compassion; it is lack of ability to make a meaningful change for those who are challenged.  I’ve always felt that there should be something that I can do.  And not being able to find that ‘something’, has caused me to avoid the challenged people.  I have trouble not being in control.  And these are situations where there is no control possible.
How did it go?  I’ve given up on trying controlling the situation.  I’ve given up on trying making a permanent change in their lives.  I go.  I read a Bible verse.  I give a devotional talk about the verse.  We sing songs.  All these people have is the present, and for a tiny moment in time, I’m in their “present”.  I try to make it a meaningful ‘present’.
How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that people think / feel about what I've posted.