Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 7, 2010

My second Saturday of the week


This Saturday was even better than yesterday. I didn’t go anywhere or do anything all day long. I worked some more on the Dragon Moon story that I’m publishing on my other blog: http://dragonmoonaworkinprogress.blogspot.com/

I fixed poached salmon for lunch before Ella went to work. I made a sauce of orange juice, sugar, cayenne pepper, diced green peppers and chives. I let it cook down to a medium sauce and spooned it over the fish before poaching. I also toasted some barley with baby carrot slices and then cooked it in chicken stock. Added some peeled cucumber spears with vanilla yogurt and dill to the plate and I think it turned out good enough to do again sometime.

I read my daughter Amber’s blog about cooking fish several times a month and it got me in the mood for salmon. She is writing about creating a cookbook for people with IBS. I find that amusing because she’s the only one of my four children who has never had much of an interest in cooking. (2 out of 4 are chefs) I wish her well on the project. I know how difficult it can be to adjust cooking to special needs. Since my heart attack and being diagnosed with pre-diabetes, I’ve been learning to cook with less (or better) fat, sugar and salt. I’ve also gotten back into the habit of eating more fresh fruits.

I grew up on a semi-rural acreage that had all kinds of things to graze on. We had: apples, pears, apricots, plums, cherries, mulberries, gooseberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb and tomatoes still warm from the sun! No wonder I was such a skinny kid! I ate all the time but it was fresh off the tree or bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that people think / feel about what I've posted.